Patrick's thoughts

EDCI-337

BLOG POST 1

This blog is about Dual coding theory and Neuromyth.

Our brain is an amazing being, from the fact that you are reading this sentence right now, to having a sense of self, these are all manifestations of having a highly developed brain.

In everyday life, you may always hear neuromyth about the brain, such as the fact that the human brain is only 10% developed, Critical Periods that a person should be educated certain things at a certain stage. And, for all students, there is a specific learning style that will improve learning efficiency. This concept is inherently wrong because each person’s way of receiving and learning knowledge is different. A strong relationship is shown between neuromyths and teacher efficacy, a teacher that is a believer in neuromyth may be more rigid in his/her teaching style.

Dual Coding theory postulates that both visual and verbal information is used to represent information. Visual and verbal information are processed information processed in each channel. Visuals have been shown to increase learning by up to 400%. They also have a cognitive effect on learners and promote creativity, allowing users to digest knowledge and create an association with the learning objects more quickly.

For my own experience, in my study method, visual plays a critical role. I always find that textbooks with relatively more pictures can hold more of my attention and make me easier to focus on what I am learning. As for those textbooks which only have texts, the first sight of them already made me tired.

Reference:

Neuromyths: are misconceptions about the brain dangerous?
https://www.landmark.edu/research-training/blog/neuromyths-are-misconceptions-about-the-brain-dangerous

Studies Confirm the Power of Visuals to Engage Your Audience in eLearning
https://www.shiftelearning.com/blog/bid/350326/studies-confirm-the-power-of-visuals-in-elearning#:~:text=Improve%20Comprehension,to%20process%20the%20information%20faster.

1. lukejr 2021-05-24

Thanks for your reflections here. I agree you still hear some neuromyths being talked about, even in the news or other seemingly trustworthy media. Interesting what gets picked up by people and what gets left out.

2. rahma 2021-05-24

Hi Patrick,

First of all, I like the design of your site and secondly, I enjoyed reading your blog about Dual coding theory and Neuromyth, It’s an interesting topic and gives me deeper thinking of the actual learning process in our brains. I would like to add to the point you mentioned about the visual and verbal information processes, the modality principle in Mayer’s studies describes the use of graphics on narrations. People’s visual and auditory channels are different, therefore using the visual feature on narration is effecient rather than using it simultaneously will overload the other. Therefore I agree more visuals will enhance better learning outcomes.

Thank you, looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Rahma.

3. ky0076518 2021-05-29

Hi Patrick,

This is a well-structured and engaging blog. I agree with that JiaweiGu argues that dual coding theory assumes that both visual and verbal information are used to represent information. And show that vision plays an important role in learning. Textbooks with more pictures can attract people’s attention. On the other hand, text books with only words look very boring. JiaweiGu combined his own daily learning experience to prove this point. I agree with him. Pictures can make people more vivid and easier to memory. Also, Pictures are easier to catch people’s attention. That’s why more and more novels are adapted into TV series and movies. In my future life, I will use more pictures instead of words to help me memory and improve my work and learning efficiency.

Thank you,

Yan